Thursday, February 18, 2010

True love (A Sufi story)

Shibli entered a profound mystical state and was placed in an asylum as a madman. As soon as they heard, his shocked disciples come to visit him. Shibli asked, "Who are you?" "We are some of those who love and follow you." Shibli began throwing stones at his students. They began to run away, crying, "It's true, Shibli really has gone crazy." Then Shibli called out to them, "Didn't I hear you say that you loved me? You could not even bear a stone or two before running away. What became of that sincere love you claimed you had for me? Did your love fly away with a couple of stones? If you had really loved me, you would have patiently endured the little bit of discomfort I caused you."

6 comments:

Priti said...

True love is very difficult to find in real life

Vaibhav Bhandari said...

Good to see you on the blog after long time.

Mayank Trivedi said...

The essence I feel here is not just the love. It is trying to convey that if you want something fruitful, don't be shy to face hardships.

I would relate the saying (proverb) "Roses grow in a thorn bush"

Vaibhav Bhandari said...

No Mayank. Here the the story purely revolves around love. The story reflects a very good test of love.
Hardship is not the essence in this story for sure. That is another angle, which i agree with you.

Mayank Trivedi said...

Vaibhav I understand where you coming from and had expected a NO, that's where I started my comment with "The essence I feel here is"

Its always good to understand the motive behind what is written in words for you to read, however it is equally good to try and understand any additional meaningful / constructive sense emanating from those words.

Vaibhav Bhandari said...

From that angle what you said is true. But it's your angel but not the intend of the author.